Workation is a newly coined word which combines work and vacation .
And it means working and playing. Instead of working from home we can work from a hotel, a beach, a park, a restaurant, wherever sightseeing you may fancy.
This new idea has been talked about recently especially after the Covid-19 pandemic.
Now let’s take a look at what kind of merits and demerits will be brought about by this new way of working style.
1. Hotels and inns will benefit a lot. When we look at the current situation, many of them are suffering from record low occupancy rates owing to the mass cancellation by those travelers. Consequently many of these establishments are on the brink of bankruptcy. Therefore it is urgently necessary to rescue these businesses by any means. Workation will definitely shed a light on this problem.
2. Tremendous number of people around the world have been forced to be self quarantined due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It causes a lot of psychological strain . Now is the time to give them a chance to relax and refresh their minds and bodies. In this sense, workation will definitely play a leading role.
3. Thanks to the relaxation and refreshing mentioned above, people will be able to devote more energy to their work and contribute better ideas to their companies, which will definitely lead to the improved productivity in the workplace.
1. Workation is not available for every one because of its specific property. For those people whose jobs require physical contact such as doctors nurses waitresses, taxi drivers are not able to make use of this system. In the end sense of unfairness will grow among them.
2. Financial burden is not small. If a person takes his family to a famous sightseeing spot, the traveling cost will be quite high and may not be affordable for all the families.
3. There is a problem of compartmentalization. Actually many people have complained that it is not easy to focus on their paperwork when they are in the hotel room. For those people, work is work. And play is play. The two cannot be mixed.